Thursday, September 5, 2013

Improving & Growing

Last night was our last night of VBS.   The final scripture happened to be my life verse.  So I decided I am going to get a little brave and show you a piece of art I'm not happy with. (I tried to place them side by side, but blogger won't allow me.)  The first pic is my almost finished product for a children's book--which I'm still not quite happy with.   The 2nd pic is my first rendering, done some time ago, which I don't like, although I was going to use it for the project anyway.  However, my conscience or Type A personality or Colossians 3:23 wouldn't allow it. 
I have improved some skills since first doing the squirrels and the 2nd pic does not reflect what I have learned.  So I redid the picture.  Still not happy - So should I accept sub-par?  Or should I completely re-do A-GAIN?  (The deadline is mine, so that is not an issue.)This internal debate reminded me of the scripture in 2 Peter 3:18, "Grow in Grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ..."   The Greek word for 'grace' means that which affords joy, pleasure, delight, sweetness, loveliness, and charm.  The 2nd definition is of course unmerited favor.  Having received grace from God (which I don't deserve) I feel I have grown and matured in Christ over the years.  Yet sometimes I still find myself acting like a spiritual baby (Hebrews 5:13-14).  My flesh reacts faster than my spirit and I'm either whining, grumbling, or saying things I shouldn't or at the very least still thinking them.If I have learned more and grown as a Christian, than why am I not showing that growth as often as I should?Same reason I was going to use the sub-par pictures....it's easier.  Too often do we just use our old habits and life styles out of convenience?  We've been given a counselor to help us, and an instruction book if you catch my meaning....Daily we need to pray and ask for the strength, direction and will to behave as mature Christians.  Daily.  Then we will be able to show the grace to others that we have received.   Well, I'm off to work on a certain painting....May you grow in grace today,Laura   

No comments:

Post a Comment