|And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered |
together unto one place, and let the dry land appear:
and it was so. Genesis 1:9
White paper (sketch paper or construction paper),
Tissue paper (scraps are ok) in light blue, dark blue, yellow, white, light green, red, pink, sparkly tissue paper (optional)
White Glue (white glue is easier to prevent tissue paper from tearing-glue sticks can be used by older children)
Black construction paper (optional)
Small sea shells (optional)
1. Sort your tissue paper by color. Light blue and white for sky, light and dark blues for the ocean, tans, yellow for shore. Tear the tissues paper. Do NOT use scissors. Make sure the edges are uneven - that's what makes it interesting.
Begin to tear the strips lengthwise. Do NOT use scissors. They should be a little longer than the width of the white paper. Strips should be about the width of your finger. (TIP: Avoid big chunky strips-the skinnier and longer the better.)
2. Place your white piece of paper with the longest part going sideways (landscape or hot dog way)
3. Sand: The bottom 1/3 is the beach. If you have a piece of sparkly tissue paper glue that on first. Then glue strips of yellow or white over the sparkly paper. Wrinkles are okay-it makes it look authentic.
4. Sky: Now go to the top of the paper. Layer white and blue strips about 1/3 of the way down from the top. Put glue on the back of the tissue paper. Then lay the strip across the paper, working from top to bottom. If you are going to do a sunset collage add strips of orange, yellow or pink to the sky.
5. Ocean: Across the middle begin to layer dark blue along with light blue. Let some of the light blue peek through. It looks like waves. You can also glue short strips of white to make it look like whitecaps.
8. Sun: You can add a yellow sun, or if you want to make it look like sunset - add a pink or orange sun. Be sure to add some pink or orange strips to the sky, too.
10. If you have some tiny sea shells, you can glue them on the sand.
11. When dry, trim the edges of the page and Glue entire page to a piece of black construction paper for an easy frame.
Ta-dah! You're done. Clean up your mess so mom doesn't yell!
Email me a picture of your finished art and I'll post it here. Get mom's permission! Send it to me at
wonderfulwordsart (at) gmail (dot) com