Monday, August 26, 2013

Sing!


I've been enjoying the abundance of black eyed susan's this year.  They seem to be every where I look.  And I'm very glad because mine got weed-whacked down.  Twice.   After the first time they started growing back.  I explained very. carefully. to my husband where they were and to STAY AWAY.  They were coming up again, and then a neighbor, thinking they were being neighborly came through and "off with their heads!" again.

Did I rejoice?  Honestly, no. I said nothing to the neighbor - but I muttered a great deal.

Then when I think of the people who are losing their homes to wild fires and floods and tornadoes, I'm ashamed of my earlier reaction.    I heard some of these folks who have lost so much saying, "we're alive, so we'll be okay."  They are rejoicing, because they see the blessing that remains.

David was like that - he ran for about 10 years from King Saul.  Hiding out in caves fearing for his life.  Some of the most beautiful psalms were written by him during these times. Psalm 35 which is a prayer for rescue from his enemies is an example, verse 18 says, "I will give thee thanks in the great congregation;  I will praise thee among much people," and in verses 27-28, "Let the Lord be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.  And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long."

Rejoicing is important because it lifts us up to God, and brings us closer to Him.  When we are close to Him we know His heart, feel His love and know that He deeply loves us.  My niece said it beautifully, we learn how 'extravagantly God loves us.'

So I'm having to enjoy one of my favorite flowers from a distance this year - and each time I do I lift up a prayer for those suffering a real loss and I pray that they will have the joy of beautiful flowers in their future.

May you rejoice today!!
Laura



No comments:

Post a Comment