Saturday, August 31, 2013

Remnants





Remnants - left over pieces.  Scraps of fabric, perhaps too small to use.  A friend at church just brought me some remnants of yarn.  She was sure I could use them for craft projects or junior church.

I remember my grandmother's sewing trunk.  It was filled with scraps of cloth.   Some cut from her old house dresses and grandpa's shirts.  Some from old blankets and sheets.  And many of these remnants were pieced together into some beautiful quilts.

Sometimes when I'm feeling a little ragged and used up this verse brings me encouragement.  I know it is not referring to a physical remnant of cloth, but the remnant of Israel - God's chosen.
But as Christian believers we are also God's chosen.

The complete reference in Romans 9: 27-28 reads, " Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved: For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth."   God will gather us together making a quick, completed work of righteousness.

When we honor the Lord and seek to do His will, we will never be cast off as a useless remnant.  He will gather us up in His arms, perfecting us in His image.  What a beautiful picture.

Be used for the Lord today!
Laura
Illustration Note:   The background of this piece is a quilt made by my Grandma especially for me.  She named each quilt for the person she made it for and typed it on a 3x5 card.  Mine was named Paths of Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment