Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I Shall Not Be Moved



I remember from my 5th grade teacher that a tree's roots extend as far down as the tree goes up.  Without that deep root system it could not find the nourishing water it needs and the tree would topple easily in a storm.

When you look at Psalm 1:3, the description is referring to a godly man, who establishes deep roots and "brings forth his fruit in his season."  To me that means there is also a time of waiting and preparation to bring forth the fruit.   Without the proper time and nourishment, the fruit is small, or shriveled, and unappealing.

When we desire to do a work for the Lord it must also be in His time.  We are to planted in His word (2 Timothy 2:15), digging deep into His abundant wisdom (James 1:5), being watered by His spirit (John 3:5), and in due season He will mature our fruit.

I love that old hymn, "I shall, I shall, I shall not be moved...just like a tree that's planted by the wa-a-ter, I shall not be moved."   Ahh....how water is refreshing to the dry tongue.   And how the water of His word refreshes our spirit.

May you feel a refreshing in your spirit today!
Laura
Illustration Note:   Found this in an old sketch book.  It was done with a travel watercolor set while on a picnic celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary.  It's at a lovely little picnic spot on the riverbank in Frankenmuth, MI.

No comments:

Post a Comment