Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Our Advocate

 I chose this picture and scripture yesterday, but was still contemplating my devotion for today. My focus was more on 'the adversary'.  This morning, however, I read Charles Spurgeon's thoughts on Isaiah 21:11, "O Watchman, what of the night?"  This really spoke to me.

First let's define Adversary: enemy, opponent, attacker, foe.  Obviously someone we don't want to meet alone in a dark alley.

But Spurgeon's devotion reminded me that there is also a Watchman for us.  An Advocate:  proponent, supporter, a Friend.

Our Watchman loves us.  He is our Light in darkness  (John 12:46).  The adversary may watch for our weak moments to attack, but even more our Advocate intercedes (Romans 8:27, 34), He provides a shield (Ephesians 6:16),  orders our steps (Proverbs 16:9), and casts His protection upon us. (Psalms 57:1)  

When we keep ourselves close to Jesus, our Advocate, when we listen to the Watchman, and follow His direction, just like Daniel we need have no fear of the roaring lion,
"My God hath sent his angel, and hath shut the lions' mouths, 
that they have not hurt me. . ."  (Daniel 6:22)

May your day be blessed by the Watchman!
Laura
Illustration Note: This is a sketch that was scanned into  Photoshop Elements and digitally colored.  It was done to accompany a kitty limerick for an upcoming children's poetry book  written by KM Logan (my daughter)and her husband.  They also host the Christian Writing Studio which is offering a free gift if you subscribe to the blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment