Thursday, August 15, 2013

Lonely Marigolds


You may wonder why I painted such a strange mix of flowers - 2 lonely marigolds in a sea of pink impatiens. First I need to explain something about myself for which my kids and husband laugh at me - if there's a flower growing, even a weed, I never pull it up.  I call them the flowers God planted.  

Last year I was a bit late buying flowers for the window boxes.  By the time I was ready to plant the impatiens, the two little marigold plants had appeared in the window box, seeded from the previous years' plants.  They had not yet flowered, but I recognized them.  So I left them.    The result was what you see above.    Some out-of-place, bright orange blossoms in a sea of serene pink.

Have you ever felt that way in your Christian walk?  Sticking out like the 'lonely little petunia in the onion patch'.  Because we are different in our behavior, by words we speak (or don't speak), our reaction to adversity, our demeanor under pressure, or our unwillingness to compromise our morals - we stick out.

But that's just what God will approve of.  We ARE to BE different.  We are a peculiar people (1 Peter 2:9).  We are God's treasure (Exodus 19:5).   As His treasure, he plants us where He wants us and waits for us to bloom for Him.

And now, here's the rest of this true story about those flowers.   Last year we had a very long, dry, hot summer.   Guess which flowers flourished?   By the end of August, even with ample watering, the impatiens had slowly died off and the marigolds had happily filled in.  The window box was as full of them as if I had planted them there.  But they were not my flowers...they were God's flowers.

May you bloom for God today!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment