Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Free as a Beagle


The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD:
and he delighteth in his way.    Psalm 37:23

I had my day all planned out.  A little cleaning then blockade myself in the office and W-O-R-K.  I've been out of the office for a week due to appointments and other obligations.  But, as I was going in to my den to work, I received a frantic call from my daughter.  Their beagle, Monk, had escaped out of the house after she had carried in groceries (the door had not closed all the way).  She has 3 children 3 and under.  They live on a very busy street.  The beagle will not come when called.  Retrieving him was not going to be easy.    I told her I would be right over (they only live 3 miles away).  I scribbled a note for my husband, Tom, grabbed my car keys, and ran out the door just as Tom came home.  He jumped in the car with me and away we went on a rescue mission.
Long story short- the beagle’s fine-daughter only mildly frazzled.  She threw the kids (well, not literally) back in the car and drove down a side road where she thought the dog might have run–and Praise the Lord - there he was.  She parked, jumped out and managed to grab him.  She called us on our cell phone, but we were almost there anyway–so we went on.  We helped cart all the kids back inside.  Felicity had peanut butter all over her face (she was eating when Monk escaped), the baby was in just a shirt and diaper (he was getting changed when the dog ran), and the oldest, Ivy, was just excited about the whole adventure.
And Monk…..he tried to escape twice more while we were there!!  He’s a good dog with the kids – but if he gets loose he’s off on a scent. (Funny thing, part of the shopping trip included purchase of a new leash and stake out for the dog.   They have a fenced yard – but he can still wiggle under in places.)  He also has to wear 2 collars when leashed because he usually squirms out of one.  The double collar system seems to work. (note the picture)
So what’s my point?   Another work day interruption turned into a time of enjoying unplanned smiles and giggles from the grandkids.  And when I returned back to my art table – all I had in my mind’s eye was a picture of a very care free beagle bounding through a field – not a care or worry plaguing him.   It wasn’t my planned work for the day but it was too vivid to resist painting.  It was the quickest and easiest rendering I’ve done in a while.
And I think God reminded me that when we allow Him to order our steps we can feel as care free as a beagle---ears flapping, tonque lolling -----er, well----you get the picture!  Holier living is allowing God to do the planning then we can enjoy the adventure!
The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.   Psalms 37:23

1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous adventure Laura...all the way around. You enjoyed extra grandkid hugs, were inspired to draw Monk and focused all the fun on God. Plus, Monk was safely returned home. Win-win. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete